Vietnam prepares its capital for new COVID-19 outbreak
January 26, 2022
Asia

Vietnam prepares its capital for new COVID-19 outbreak

HANOI (VIETNAM) – Vietnam has been free of the coronavirus for months. However, it was preparing for another wave of COVID-19 infections on Wednesday. Local media reported a case in the capital, Hanoi, which directly had a reference to a recent outbreak in the central city of Danang.

The government said in a statement that Hanoi should equip itself with medical equipment and materials for another “fight against COVID-19”.

With the help of a centralised quarantine programme and an effective contact-tracing system, Vietnam had managed to keep its coronavirus tally to just 446 cases.

Vietnam, with over 95 million population, has recorded no deaths from the virus so far. However, this is now threatened by the outbreak last weekend in Danang.

All flights to and from Danang were suspended by the government for 15 days. At least 30 coronavirus cases have been detected in or around the city.

According to authorities, about 18,000 tourists had returned to Ho Chi Minh City from Danang, authorities. The Hanoi authorities had earlier said about 15,000 to 20,000 were expected to return for Danang.

The state media reported on Wednesday that a staff member at a Hanoi pizza restaurant recently returned from Danang and had tested positive for the coronavirus. The authorities had shut down the restaurant for disinfection.

The health ministry has yet to confirm a new Hanoi case.

Vietnam will send back 120 construction workers diagnosed with COVID-19 from Equatorial Guinea on Wednesday, according to state media.

(Photos syndicated via Reuters)
This story has been edited by BH staff and is published from a syndicated field.

Related Posts