Two people charged for violence against queen
BANGKOK (THAILAND) – Thai police said on Friday that two men would be charged with attempt to violence against the queen, which leads to a possible death sentence. The incident saw her motorcade being heckled on Wednesday.
As Queen Suthida’s convoy passed a group of protesters on Wednesday, video footage shows that three-finger salutes of opposition was given to the establishment. Police pushed protesters away from the queen’s car.
Bunkueanun “Francis” Paothong told he had been charged. “I have been charged with violence against the queen,” he said. He earlier posted an online video proclaiming his innocence.
A police officer said Ekachai Hongkangwan would also be charged at the same police base.
Thai Lawyers for Human Rights told that its lawyers were trying to help the two. They made no comment on the case.
Thailand’s government cited the incident around Queen Suthida’s convoy as a justification for implementing emergency measures on Thursday.
Section 110 of the Thai criminal code sets a sentence of 16 years to life imprisonment for people found guilty of violence or attempted violence against the royalty, which includes queen, heir-apparent or regent, with a death sentence if an act is likely to endanger their life.