Quick return to court helped me overcome US Open shock, says Djokovic
ROME (ITALY) – Novak Djokovic said that getting back on court without much delay after being disqualified at the US Open for striking a line judge with a ball helped him overcome the incident.
The Serbian world number one faced flak at Flushing Meadows for sending a ball at the judge and he said he spent several days contemplating what had taken place.
He was back in action last week in Rome and won his 36th ATP Masters title on Monday’s final by trouncing Argentine Diego Schwartzman 7-5 6-3.
“I did experience mentally some ups and downs in the first four-five days after that happened,” Djokovic said.
“Obviously I was in shock… but I moved on, I’ve never had an issue in my life to move on regardless of how difficult it is.
“Obviously having a tournament a week after helped a lot because I really wanted to get on the court and get whatever trace of that out of the way.”
The Serbian has won 31 matches out of 32 this year and said he would have to enhance his performance to win the French Open, which begins on Sunday.
“I don’t think I played my best tennis to be honest, I don’t want to sound arrogant here. I am very satisfied and pleased to win a title. I know I still have a couple of gears,” he added.
“Hopefully I’ll be able to raise that level for the French Open because that’s going to be necessary if I want to go deep in the tournament.”