Parler may not return, says CEO Matze
January 21, 2021
Tech

Parler may not return, says CEO Matze

SAN FRANCISCO (US) – Social media platform Parler’s CEO John Matze said that it may never get back online after it went dark when major service providers accused it of failing to police violent content.

In the wake of a host of business vendors snapping ties with the two-year-old site after the incidents at the US Capitol last week, Matze said that he does not know when or if the social media platform would be active.

“It could be never,” he said. “We don’t know yet.”

“I am an optimist. It may take days, it may take weeks but Parler will return and when we do we will be stronger,” he said.

He said talks were going on with more than one cloud computing service but he did not name anyone. He said the best option would if Parler could get back on Amazon.com Inc.

The social media platform, which claims to have more than 12 million users, filed a case against Amazon cloud computing division.

Amazon snapped ties with Parler, which claims to be a “free speech” platform and enjoys the patronage of President Donald Trump’s supporters, and took it off its servers this weekend for failing to moderate violent content.

In another court filing on Wednesday, Parler said that Amazon did not furnish any proof to suggest that the social media platform was used to incite and organise the siege of the US Capitol and called the termination of its services “catastrophic”.

Those conducting research about false information have said far-right groups appearing at the riot had an active online presence on platforms such as Parler.

It is not just Amazon which has taken action against Parler. Apple and Google also booted the social media platform from their app stores.

Matze said, “It’s hard to keep track of how many people are telling us that we can no longer do business with them.”

Related Posts