Huawei to request PM Johnson to delay removal from 5G network, says The Times
BEIJING (CHINA) – Huawei Technologies of China has requested a meeting with UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson to forge a deal to slow down its potential removal from Britain’s 5G phone network, the Sunday Times newspaper reported on Sunday.
Huawei is seeking to delay its removal until after elections in June 2025 with the hope that the new government might reverse the decision, the newspaper said.
The report mentioned that Huawei in return would maintain its equipment in the UK, which is also used in the 2G, 3G and 4G networks.
In January, the UK granted the Chinese telecommunication equipment maker a limited role in its future 5G networks. But ministers said that the introduction of US curbs on the company means it may no longer be a reliable supplier.
The prime minister has come under immense pressure from the US and British lawmakers to ban Huawei on security grounds.
Beijing envoy to London, Liu Xiaoming, warned last week that getting rid of Huawei would send a “very bad message” to Chinese business.
(Photos syndicated via Reuters)
This story has been edited by BH staff and is published from a syndicated field