Virus outbreak forces Vietnam to suspend all flights to and from Danang
January 26, 2022
Asia

Coronavirus outbreak forces Vietnam to suspend all flights to and from Danang

HANOI (VIETNAM) – The government on Tuesday put on hold flights to and from the tourist hotspot of Danang for 15 days. This comes after 14 coronavirus cases were detected in the city.

Vietnam went back to high alert on Saturday after community transmission cases were confirmed, the first since April. There were as many as three cases on Sunday and they were linked to Danang

Late on Monday 11 cases linked to a hospital in the city were reported.

A statement issued by the government said all bus and train services to and from the city have been suspended from Tuesday. Over the weekend, Danang had reintroduced social distancing norms after the government confirmed the first domestically transmitted COVID-19 case in more than three months.

Vietnam, which has a population of over 95 million, is the most populous country in the world to have recorded no COVID-19 fatalities. This was achieved because of strict quarantine measures and rampant testing.

The health ministry said that two cases in the city are in a critical condition.

Though the country is closed for foreign visitors, domestic tourism witnessed a surge as people took advantage of slash in flight charges and holiday packages in local resorts.

The government on Monday had requested the Civil Aviation Authority of Vietnam (CAAV) to allow domestic airlines to considerably increase the number of services from Danang to 11 cities to evacuate to evacuate 80,000 people, mostly tourists.

CAAV deputy director Vo Huy Cuong said on Tuesday that all flights have been suspended.

“We operated 90 flights to evacuate tourists stranded in Danang yesterday but most tourists had already left Danang on Sunday, mostly by coach or train to nearby provinces,” Cuong said.

(Photos syndicated via Reuters)
This story has been edited by BH staff and is published from a syndicated field

Related Posts