Massive outage disrupt services at Japan’s No. 2 telecoms carrier- BH
August 11, 2022
Asia Tech World

Outages disrupt services at Japan’s No. 2 telecoms carrier

Tokyo (Japan)- Many users of Japan’s No. 2 mobile carrier KDDI Corp. were still having trouble making calls after a massive outage throughout the weekend that affected nearly 40 million people. Which is disrupting deliveries, weather reports and other services across the country.

The company says data transmission was largely restored by Monday morning. But the service restrictions were still causing many users to have trouble making phone calls. And also sending short messages.

The outage started in the early hours of Saturday during scheduled maintenance work at a facility in western Tokyo.

It disabled text messaging, phone calls and other services for more than 39 million users of KDDI’s mobile services. Parcel deliveries disrupted.

Over the weekend, the Meteorological Agency was unable to send weather data to hundreds of stations. Dozens of cash machines disabled in central Japan and Tokyo. The other municipalities had trouble reaching COVID-19 patients subject to health monitoring at home.

Impacts of Outage

The major outage came just ahead of a July 10 parliamentary election. It was seen as an embarrassment for Prime Minister Fumio Kishida’s government. Which is promoting the digitization of the world’s No. 3 economy.

The government was quick to address public concern over the problem.

“It is extremely regrettable that mobile phone service. Which is a crucial infrastructure for social and economic activity, has been unusable for such a long time. ” Deputy Chief Cabinet Secretary Seiji Kihara told reporters on Monday.

He said the government was taking the situation “seriously” and urged KDDI to provide a thorough explanation. Kihara said he expected KDDI to “sincerely” consider compensation for possible damage claims from users.

On Sunday, KDDI President Makoto Takahashi apologized. He provided an initial explanation of what happened and the outlook for the resumption of disrupted services.

“We consider this a severe incident,” Internal affairs and communications minister Yasushi Kaneko said on Sunday. The outage was especially unfortunate because it disrupted emergency calls. When people were facing increased risks of COVID-19 and heat strokes and potential emergencies due to an approaching typhoon.

An outage last year by rival NTT DoCoMo affected nearly 13 million people.

Related Posts