UK independent body: China committed genocide in Xinjiang
The Uyghur Tribunal, made up of lawyers, academics and businesspeople, doesn’t have any government backing or powers to sanction or punish China. But organizers hope the process of publicly laying out evidence will compel international action to tackle alleged abuses against the Uyghurs, a largely Muslim ethnic group.
Tribunal chair Geoffrey Nice said the group was satisfied that forced birth control and sterilization policies targeting Uyghurs in China’s far western Xinjiang province were intended to reduce the group’s population. The abuse was part of comprehensive policies directly linked to President Xi Jinping and the highest levels of the Chinese government, he said.
The Chinese Embassy in London didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment. In Beijing, Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said Thursday that “the so-called forced labor and genocide in Xinjiang are entirely vicious rumors.”
Wang was responding to a question about a law passed Wednesday by the U.S. House of Representatives to ban imports from Xinjiang over forced labor concerns.
After examining evidence from witnesses, experts and leaked Chinese government documents for over a year, the Uyghur Tribunal concluded that it was beyond doubt that genocide and crimes against humanity were committed, including the torture and rape of scores held in vast detention centers.
“On the basis of evidence heard in public, the tribunal is satisfied beyond reasonable doubt that the People’s Republic of China, by the imposition of measures to prevent births intended to destroy a significant part of the Uyghurs in Xinjiang as such, has committed genocide,” said Nice, a senior lawyer who previously led the prosecution of ex-Serbian President Slobodan Milosevic and has worked with the International Criminal Court.
He said Xi and other senior officials “bear primary responsibility” for what has occurred in Xinjiang.
“This vast apparatus of state repression could not exist if a plan was not authorized at the highest levels,” Nice said.
An estimated 1 million people or more — most of them Uyghurs — have been confined in reeducation camps in Xinjiang in recent years, according to researchers.
The hearings were the latest attempt to hold China accountable for its policies targeting the Uyghurs and other predominantly Muslim and ethnic Turkic minorities.
About 30 witnesses and experts gave evidence to a series of public hearings in central London earlier this year, alleging torture, rape and beatings by authorities while in state detention centers. The hearings also reviewed evidence detailing other policies including the separation of young children from their families and the destruction of mosques.
A key part of the evidence was drawn from leaked Chinese government documents that Adrian Zenz, an academic specializing in the topic, said showed a direct link from Xi to the sweeping detention of more than a million people belonging to minorities, forced labor programs and forced birth control practices on Uyghur and other minority women.
The U.S. government has declared that Beijing’s policies against the Uyghurs amounted to genocide and crimes against humanity. Legislatures in Britain, Belgium, the Netherlands and Canada have done the same.
British lawmakers urged the government to impose sanctions targeting responsible individuals and businesses as well as examine the country’s supply chains to make sure it is not complicit.
“It’s really imperative to call upon our government to act now,” said Helena Kennedy, a member of Britain’s House of Lords. “The evidence is absolutely clear for anyone to see.”